On the basis of the RSE “Research Institute for Biological Safety Problems” of SC MES RK operates the Bioethics Commission (hereinafter – BEС), Chairman of the BEC – Chief Researcher of the Laboratory for Prevention of Infectious Diseases Kydyrbayev Zh.K. and members of the commission – head of the Biological and Sanitary Safety Division Burabayev B.K., head of the Laboratory for Control and Technology of Biological Products Kassenov M.M., leading researcher of the Laboratory for Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering O. Chervyakova, senior specialist in biological safety Dzhebekov K.K., junior researcher of the Laboratory for Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases Ismagambetov B.M., senior laboratory assistant of the Laboratory for Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering Almezhanova M.D.
BEC in its activities is governed by the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Regulation approved by the Academic Council of the Institute and the Rules of the “European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals Used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes”, other international law governing the maintenance and use of laboratory (experimental) animals. The Bioethics Commission consists of independent experts and is based on the principles of a humane attitude to laboratory animals and their rational use. The activities of the Commission are aimed at monitoring compliance with international rules for conducting animal experiments.
The purpose of the Bioethics Commission is to advise and monitor the work with animals at the Institute in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the provisions of the “European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes”, other international law governing content and the use of laboratory animals.
To achieve this goal, the Bioethics Commission solves the following tasks:
- studies legal and ethical issues related to research projects and technologies related to them;
- develops rules for conducting and criteria for the admissibility of animal studies based on existing regulatory documents, as well as international recommendations and studying the experience of other institutions, both in Kazakhstan and abroad;
- monitors compliance with international rules for conducting animal experiments;
- carries out an independent examination of research projects involving the use of experimental animals and makes conclusions on the admissibility of these projects;
- advises employees on bioethics.
All departments of the Institute conducting animal research in the vivariums of the Institute interact with the BEC. When using animals for research purposes, the principles and norms of bioethics must be observed.